The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution
Note from DECIEM: Only suitable for experienced users of acid exfoliation
>> Back to The Ordinary <<
Latest stock arrived: 05/05/2021
10-Minute Exfoliating Facial
Fight acne and restore clarity and even tone to your skin with this exfoliating facial mask.
- pH 3.5-3.7
What It is
AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution is a water-based exfoliating mask with alpha and beta hydroxy acids.
What It Does
This treatment exfoliates at multiple levels in the skin to fight acne and restore an even, radiant tone. It also smooths the skin’s texture and reduces the look of fine lines with regular use.
- Glycolic, lactic, tartaric, and citric acids: alpha hydroxy acids that exfoliate the skin’s top layers for a brighter, more radiant look
- Salicylic acid: a beta hydroxy acid that exfoliates inside pores to clear congestion
- Tasmanian Pepperberry: a botanical extract that reduces the irritation associated with acid use
- Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer: a form of hyaluronic acid that promotes a smooth, comfortable feel
- Vitamin B5: a vitamin that encourages healing and enhances surface hydration
- Black Carrot: a botanical extract with antioxidant effects
With 30% Alpha Hydroxyl Acids (Glycolic/Lactic/Tartaric/Citric), 2% Beta Hydroxyl Acid (Salicylic Acid), Hyaluronic Acid Crosspolymer, Vitamin B5, Black Carrot and Tasmanian Pepperberry
Alpha hydroxyl acids (AHA) exfoliate the skin's topmost surface for a brighter and more even appearance. Beta hydroxyl acids (BHA) also exfoliate the skin with an extended function to help clear pore congestion. This combined 32% AHA/BHA solution offers deeper exfoliation to help fight visible blemishes and for improved skin radiance. The formula also improves the appearance of skin texture and reduces the look of fine lines with continued use.
This formula contains a studied Tasmanian Pepperberry derivative to help reduce irritation associated with acid use. This derivative is of plant origin and varies in colour seasonally and this colour variation may be apparent in the formula from time to time. This formula is further supported with a crosspolymer form of hyaluronic acid for comfort, Vitamin B5 to assist healing and black carrot as an antioxidant.
Note: This formula contains a very high concentration of free acids. We recommend use only if you are an experienced user of acid exfoliation and your skin is not sensitive.
Contraindications: This formula should not be used on sensitive, peeling or compromised skin. Please refer to additional sun protection note and other warnings in provided Directions.
This pH of this formula is approximately 3.6. Glycolic Acid, the primary AHA used in the formula, has a pKa of 3.6 and pKa is the most important aspect to consider in formulating with acids. pKa implies acid availability. When pKa is close to pH, there is an ideal balance between salt and acidity, maximizing effectiveness of the acid and reducing irritation. Higher pH numbers in such a case would increase salt which counter-intuitively would make the formula even more irritating than if the formula was more acidic.
Note: While exfoliating acids can result in quick visible benefits, we generally suggest indirect forms of skin exfoliation in favour of direct forms such as this formula due to potential inflammation and sensitivity associated with acids. Please refer to NIOD's Non-Acid Acid Precursor for such a reference.
How To Use
Apply a small amount to clean, dry skin. Leave the mask on for no more than 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water.
This product should not be used more than twice per week. We recommend applying it at night. This product should not be used on sensitive, peeling, or compromised skin.
Alpha hydroxy acids may increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun. Use sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and limit sun exposure while using this product.
Glycolic Acid, Aqua (Water), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Daucus Carota Sativa Extract, Propanediol, Cocamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Salicylic Acid, Potassium Citrate, Lactic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Citric Acid, Panthenol, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/Leaf Extract, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Xanthan gum, Polysorbate 20, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.
Our formulations are updated from time to time as part of our commitment to innovation. As such, the ingredient list shown here may vary from the box of the product depending on time and region of purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions
I’m pregnant or breastfeeding. Is AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution safe for me?
- Products with salicylic acid are not recommended for use while pregnant or breastfeeding.
How often can I use AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution?
- You can use it twice per week for 10 minutes at most. We recommend starting with once per week if you’re new to acids.
How do I add AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution to my skin care routine?
- Apply it to clean, dry skin for 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water before starting your usual skin care routine. We recommend applying this product at night.
Can I use AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution at the same time as retinol?
- This product should be applied to clean skin and rinsed off, so do not mix or layer it with any other product. We recommend proceeding with caution if you use a retinoid at another point in your skin care routine, as this may cause irritation.
Will AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution make my skin peel?
- You may notice some slight flaking, as this product is an exfoliant. However, if you experience significant peeling, stop using it and consult your healthcare provider.
Recently on Social Media
It sounds really scary. It looks even scarier 💉. It's unavailable in many markets. And yet it's one of our most-loved products of all time. Our AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution is a 10-minute exfoliating facial that combines 30% Alpha Hydroxyl Acids (Glycolic / Lactic / Tartaric / Citric) with 2% Salicylic Acid to improve visible radiance and texture in no time. While Alpha Hydroxyl Acids, and specially Glycolic Acid, exfoliate the skin surface well, Salicylic Acid further exfoliates inside the pores to target congestion and visible blemishes. The formula also contains a hydrating Hyaluronic Acid Crosspolymer, pro-healing Vitamin B5, antioxidant Black Carrot and a soothing Tasmanian Pepperberry to make it tolerable by most skin types including sensitive skin. The pH of ~3.6 matches the pKa of Glycolic Acid to offer exceptionally high pure acid availability while leaving an ideal balance between acid and salt content to minimize irritation from excess presence of either. This loving, lovable product is not available in several markets including our homeland of Canada (permanent regulatory limbo), but we will have alternatives for these markets in early 2018. Some obvious bits: 1) Don't over-use acids; two times per week is plenty (which means these peels should cost you about $1 a month); 2) Avoid unprotected solar exposure at all times but particularly when using peels; 3) Don't let the honest cost of this superstar misguide you. When it comes to exfoliation, your skin only understands acid type, concentration and pH; it doesn't act differently based on how much money you wasted 💸. 4) A really fun way to spend ~10 minutes with your family, partner or friend(s) is peeling together ❤️🐒
A few comments on social media...
- Awesome. Luv it. I'm 60 and use twice a week.LUANNHP
- This bad boy been on my face almost every Sunday ever since it was lunched. Happy skin, happy me! You are a happines givers, monkeys! 💙☺AMONGTHEFEW
- I have this and the NIOD line to thank for my amazing skin! My skin looks better in my early 30s than it did in my 20s!KICKASH_FITNESS
- I use it every week. Amazing product ♥️NATHALIA_PRADO07
- This is great stuff! I had a blast sending pics to my family and friends! However the results!!! I will post tonite when I treat my skin again!🤗 and thanks for all your hard work. @theordinary. BEINGAUNTIEYAYA
- My favorite The Ordinary product! ❤️ I've also scared a few people while I had it on 😂KRISTINEANNECASTRO
- My Sunday peel. Love it!ERI13
- I adore this product. I took it to my dermatologist when I bought it. She was very impressed and approved me using it once a week.NISHMET22
- I am close to running out and it literally makes me want to cry..SCIENCEANDSKINCARE
- Literally one of my favorite 💕FVCKK_XO
- Absolutely love this product! Makes your skin feel amazing!KATIELMCMURRAY
- Wow how ironic I have this and had it on my face. What a wonderful product I love it and leaves my skin silky smooth. It's not strong at all and does not irritate the skin. Thank you monkey's 😘MTORRES6132
- Used it last night 😍 has been key to transforming my texture without irritating my sensitive skinKATHRUHHH
- Love this peel! It makes my skin so smooth.PATCHWORKPIRATE
- I absolutely LOVE this stuff! It has made a huge difference for me!MALLORY1712
- Skin game changer for me. Love this product. It's a day or two later that I notice a glow to my skin. Thanks @deciemELSAJANEC
- This is brilliant I am on my 3rd bottle. Love it. JSEDDAOUI
- One of my favorite masks! Incredibly potent and gentle ✨SOFIEUH
- one of my desert island products, could not be without 🙌💕 JSUDDES13
- This peel changed my skin in so many beautiful ways 🙏🏻 best skin care product I've ever purchased anywhere KAYYYBANDZ
- I love this 😊I’ve used it twice and already seen such a difference xMISSYFOXX25
- You guys are awesome.MIDNIGHT.MERLOT
- I’ve been using for about 6 mos. it’s amazing!❤️ TLCOUTUREDESIGNS
- I love this stuff!!! Holy grail must haveKARLIAHLARGE
- Best product ever! Drastically improved my skin texture!SHDOESNUTIN
- This stuff is great! My face is clearer and brighter after using itJESSKERMECI
- I never thought my skin would look as clear as it did after I took accutane in high school, but The Ordinary products are what is keeping my skin CLEAR. Can't believe my skin is looking this nice with products so affordable 😭😭😭THTFASHIONISTA_
- I love this so so much. My skin feels so much cleaner and radiant every time after masking.LIBERTOUSQUEEN
- This product is really really good. It beats those masks that are 40-60 dollars. I see good results just from this guy 👌🏽🤤AUMY99
- I LOVE this stuff. I have sensitive skin but have no problems if I use it per the instructions and it makes my skin so soft and bright.JOBELLECEE
- I use this once or twice per week and it's making my skin so smooth with zero irritation. It's actually soothing for my rosacea. I love it and I wonder if it's even possible 30% concentration of AHAs could be actually soothing instead of irritating. What the hell is this magicPETTIEBUN
- Can't wait to use this! The Ordinary skincare has changed my life ❤️ @deciem are so happy to help and their customer service is incredible. I can't rave about them enough!! ⭐️ PEAPOPS
- Omg one of my favorite products I’ve purchased from you! I live by these products 🤤BUDDHA_THATSME
- Just ordered it today 😍 That one and about 8-9 other products 🙈 To add to the existing 11 I already have from The Ordinary 🎉 I think it’s called love 😍Seriously, I tried a whole bunch of them, gave my mom, sister and a few girlfriends to try them out as they’re all simply amazing 👏You rock @deciem ❤️ DIXIE0703
- One of my favorite products!!! Love the tingle! Makes my skin glow!!! ZOMBIE_LOVE_FACE
- This is the only thing that prevents my breakouts. When i travel and don’t use it for a week my skin resents me.PAMCRB
- This stuff makes you look like the love child of Norman Bates and Carrie while you are using it, but it works wonders KRISTENFRASER
- The love of my life ❤️ @deciem The best peeling solution hands down 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 JUHOLHEL
- The best product in the world 🌎 ALEXANVIEW
- One of my fave Deciem product - my skin saviour 😍😍😍JMAZUREKZALEWSKA
- The best skincare brand ever 😍 Every time someone compliments my skin, I make sure to tell them it's all thanks to The Ordinary 👌🏻💘MICACEOUS
- The product gives me a new face every week. A product has no name.STOCKAFLOCKAFLAME
- Love it ! Your products have helped my skin go back to its original state ! Thankyou ! SDEEZY86
- Love it, love it, love it. This product have saved my skin and done miracles. I had problem skin, huge pores and pigment spots. My skin is now clean, smooth and soooo pretty... just bought 9 more of your products. I’m an addict 😍 CLARABUDDIG
- I have been using this and it's AWESOME!! Chemical exfoliators (ie acid peels) are definitely the way to go over physical exfoliators (ie scrubs) as the latter often creates micro-tears in your skin. Deciem makes unbelievable products & I would recommend to anyone looking for beautiful skinAWELLSM
Thank you again and again and again.....Deciem has saved my skin 😍😍😍 LOVE YOU GUYS ❤️
Thank you so much for sharing these lovely words, Andrea! We're so happy to hear that you are enjoying our Peeling Solution :-)By wc on 07 November 2017This is wonderful stuff, I am 60 yrs old and have been suffering from a type of acne rosacea for several years - being treated with long term antibiotics which work but I dont want to take antibiotics all the time, or anti inflammatory creams (which didnt help at all), but since using the Peeling Solution (once a week) and the Salycilic acid daily I have been able to stop taking the tablets! My skin looks so clear, soft and smooth that I feel happy to go out socially without wearing any Beauty Balm or other foundation make up.
Thank you so much
We're so glad you're enjoying our products, Wendy! <3 Thank you for sharing!By SM on 06 November 2017I am 46 years old. I have some hormonal acne, dullness, fine wrinkles, age spots, and enlarged pores. I have used this product three times now and I am in love. Wish that I could use it more often. My skin is literally glowing afterwards. I got stopped in Ulta the other day only after using this product twic and was told that my skin was beautiful and glowly. I had to tell her why of course. I was scared at first to use it. Its the first peel I've ever used, but I started with only 5 minutes, now I'm at 7 minutes. For the results and the price tag................It is an amazing product. I have used lots of the Ordinary line; the caffeine for the eyes, granactive retinoid, rose hip oil, and the buffet are my other favorites.
Have to say that I have been totally impressed with the whole line of products. My only issue is I wish that they would expand their regimen guide to encompass more of their products using different options.
Hi Stephanie! Thank you for sharing, and we are so happy you are loving the AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution! We will pass on your note about the regimen guide to our team. We can also always offer answers to any questions you may have! <3By RRA on 05 November 2017First time using AHA 30% + BHA 2% PEELING SOLUTION - 30ML!!! Wow, I'm in the mirror looking at texture of my skin change right before my eyes. My skin looks smoother, clearer and cleaner than ever. Can't run out of this stuff!!!
Hi Rhonda! We love that you love AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution! <3By JR on 04 November 2017I recently started taking care of my skin again and bought a few select products after endless research. Been very good with my routine for about 2 months now. This AHA/BHA peel is my newest purchase (just got it this week), and it has been The Best Thing yet! I never review anything before using it for at least a month, but this peel was truly effective from the very first use. The blood-red color freaked me out, but aside from some mild tingling, there was zero discomfort. Followed the directions exactly as stated, followed it up with only a thin layer of Buffet (my other recent fav), and my face just looked healthy and fresh -- and even more so the following morning. This will replace my usual nightly glycolic and BHA treatments. Don't think I need those anymore!
Hi Jeannie! Thank you for sharing! We love that you love the AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution! <3