The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution - 240ml
>> Back to The Ordinary <<
With 7% Glycolic Acid, Amino Acids, Aloe Vera, Ginseng and Tasmanian Pepperberry
Restore a clear, radiant tone to your skin with this exfoliating toner.
- pH 3.5-3.7
What It is
Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution is a water-based toner with glycolic acid and botanical extracts.
What It Does
This treatment gently exfoliates the skin to restore a clear, radiant appearance. It improves the look of uneven tone and texture with regular use.
- Glycolic acid: an alpha hydroxy acid that exfoliates the surface of the skin
- Tasmanian Pepperberry: a botanical extract that reduces the irritation associated with acid use
- Aloe Vera and ginseng: botanical extracts with soothing and radiance-boosting benefits
Glycolic Acid is an alpha hydroxyl acid that exfoliates the skin. This 7% toning solution offers mild exfoliation for improved skin radiance and visible clarity. The formula also improves the appearance of skin texture with continued use.
This formula contains a studied Tasmanian Pepperberry derivative to help reduce irritation associated with acid use. This derivative is of plant origin and varies in colour seasonally and this colour variation may be apparent in the formula from time to time. The formula is further supported with inclusion of ginseng root and aloe vera for both visible radiance and soothing benefits.
Contraindications: This formula should not be used on sensitive, peeling or compromised skin. Please refer to additional sun protection note and other warnings in provided Directions.
This pH of this formula is approximately 3.6. Glycolic Acid has a pKa of 3.6 and pKa is the most important aspect to consider in formulating with acids. pKa implies acid availability. When pKa is close to pH, there is an ideal balance between salt and acidity, maximizing effectiveness of the acid and reducing irritation. Higher pH numbers in such a case would increase salt which counter-intuitively would make the formula even more irritating than if the formula was more acidic.
Note: While exfoliating acids can result in quick visible benefits, we generally suggest indirect forms of skin exfoliation in favour of direct forms such as this formula due to potential inflammation and sensitivity associated with acids. Please refer to NIOD's Non-Acid Acid Precursor for such a reference.
Use ideally in the PM, no more frequently than once per day. After cleaning, saturate a cotton pad with the formula and sweep across face and neck. Avoid the eye contour and contact with eyes. Do not rinse off.
Continue with additional skin treatments as needed. If persistent irritation occurs, discontinue use and consult a physician.
(Sunburn Alert: This product contains an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that may increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun and particularly the possibility of sunburn. Use a sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and limit sun exposure while using this product and for a week afterwards. Use only as directed. Contact of the product with the skin must be of limited frequency or duration.)
Frequently Asked Questions
I’m pregnant or breastfeeding. Is Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution safe for me?
- Glycolic acid is considered safe for use while pregnant or breastfeeding, but it’s best to check with your healthcare provider first.
Can Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution be used as a toner?
- Yes. This product is a toner with exfoliating properties.
Can I mix or layer Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution with other products?
- Yes. We recommend proceeding with caution if you choose to use it with products containing retinoids or alpha hydroxy acids, as this may cause irritation.
Can I apply Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution around my eyes?
- No. This product should not be used near the eye area.
Aqua (Water), Glycolic Acid, Rosa damascena flower water, Centaurea cyanus flower water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Water, Propanediol, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Aminomethyl Propanol, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/Leaf Extract, Aspartic Acid, Alanine, Glycine, Serine, Valine, Isoleucine, Proline, Threonine, Histidine, Phenylalanine, Glutamic Acid, Arginine, PCA, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Fructose, Glucose, Sucrose, Urea, Hexyl Nicotinate, Dextrin, Citric Acid, Polysorbate 20, Gellan Gum, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Sodium Chloride, Hexylene Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.
Our formulations are updated from time to time as part of our commitment to innovation. As such, the ingredient list shown here may vary from the box of the product depending on time and region of purchase.
Recently on Social Media
Say hello to our extended collection of AHA and BHA formulations from The Ordinary 🙈 Our Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution is a daily-use formula for all skin types to enhance skin radiance and texture quickly. The Salicylic Acid 2% Solution is a daily-use, lightweight, dry-finish formula for blemish-prone skin. And finally, our AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution is a 10-minute liquid masque treatment to be used no more than twice weekly for a stronger effort to improve texture, enhance brightness and visibly even skin tone. Both AHA formulations have a pH of approximately 3.6 which matches the pKa of Glycolic Acid, meaning there is a balance between acidity and salt to maximize effectiveness with minimized irritation ( ⚗️). These formulations include plant technologies from Tasmanian Pepperberry and black carrot to help reduce irritation and oxidative stress associated with topical peels. Explore the full collection at theordinary.com. (Please note that our preferred care for healthy skin renewal is use of modern non-acid technologies such as those offered through our brand @niod. Please also note that AHA 30% is not available for sale to direct customers in Canada and is available only for professional sale due to Canadian regulations.) 🐒❤️
A few comments on social media...
- Being an MD, I have to say, this was explained extremely well and concisely. Just reading this caption tells me that you really know what you're talking about. Bravo, Deciem. I have the niacinamide +zinc and I trust all the research behind it! Fan right here! 🙋GLENGERS
- I have been using The Ordinary for a while now and totally change my skin and my daily routine. I always look forward for the AM and PM to take care if my skin now. Already waiting for the Glycolic Acid to arrive ☺MISSSUFIA
- Oh my god, ordinary is on 🔥RINGYIHO
- Need need need need need 😍 got a slight obsession with the ordinary 😍” “using the toner for a week now, amazing!DILANECHANEL
- Love your products and the scientific approach to skincare. Im a chemist and obsessed with skincare formulation.MANOUSH_B
- I only discovered The Ordinary about three months ago in a magazine. I am converted, I love it! NICOLASWEENEY64
- I am viewing your photos and I wanted to say your company looks really awesome. I wish all the companies I fund were as high quality as yours!TYLERMONEYWRKS
- BLESSSSSS!!! I've been SO hoping for a glycolic acid toner to round off my routine with full Ordinary products! KRYSTALLJUNE