The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion (Previously Advanced Retinoid 2%)
>> Back to The Ordinary <<
Latest stock arrived: 29/10/2019
Previously Advanced Retinoid 2%
Reduce wrinkles, dark spots, and other signs of aging with this advanced, non-irritating retinoid serum.
- pH 5.00-6.00
What It is
Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion (previously known as Advanced Retinoid 2%) is a water-based serum with two next-generation retinoids.
What It Does
This treatment visibly reduces the signs of aging without irritation. It diminishes the look of wrinkles and fine lines, brightens dark spots and hyperpigmentation, and smooths and refines the skin’s texture.
- Solubilized Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate: an advanced retinoid that delivers better anti-aging results with less irritation than other non-prescription retinoids
- Retinol: pure retinol in a protective capsule system for sustained delivery over time
As of late August 2017, The Ordinary's portfolio of retinoids has been extended based on valuable consumer feedback and, as part of these introductions, Advanced Retinoid 2% has been renamed to Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion to align with the new naming direction of the extended range. The formula continues to offer an emulsion of 2% of the same advanced retinoid complex. The box and label change for the existing Advanced Retinoid will be in rotation for a few weeks as new packaging finds its way through distribution.
This formulation combines two forms of next-generation retinoid actives:
a) A 2% concentration of Granactive Retinoid which is a complex of solubilized Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate (HPR). HPR is a highly-advanced form of retinoid which is, in fact, a non-prescription ester of all-trans direct retinoic acid that offers a multi-fold better effect against signs of ageing than retinol, retinyl palmitate and nearly all other forms of non-prescription retinoid;
b) A sustained-delivery form of pure retinol in a protective capsule system which supports both the delivery and the effect of Granactive Retinoid.
Both forms of retinoid used avoid the irritation associated with retinoids (including retinol) use while delivering better visible results against signs of ageing.
This product uses next-generation retinoid active technologies which have been shown to achieve better reduction in signs of ageing than retinol without irritation. These technologies cannot be compared directly with retinol itself in terms of concentration because they include a different retinoid molecule, in a similar way that Retinol cannot be compared with Retinoic Acid in terms of concentration. If you have interest in a retinol product, please refer to our Retinol portfolio above which products contain pure retinol and cost less since many retinol technologies cost less than their next-generation counterparts like Granactive Retinoid.
The Ordinary’s extended portfolio of retinoids includes the following formulations:
Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane (Moderate Strength, No Irritation)
Granactive Retinoid 5% in Squalane (High Strength, No to Low Irritation)
Retinol 0.2% in Squalane (Low Strength, Moderate Irritation)
Retinol 0.5% in Squalane (Moderate Strength, High Irritation)
Retinol 1% in Squalane (High Strength, Very High Irritation)
While the new offerings of Granactive Retinoid in Squalane offer a very-light-weight solution for better compatibility with several steps in a regimen, the existing formula continues to be a creamy hydrating emulsion for those who prefer this format.
Caution: Retinoids can make the skin more sensitive to UV radiation. Sun protection is particularly important when using retinoids. This product must not be used in conjunction with other retinoids including retinol or retinoic acid. This product is not a treatment for acne. Acne-prone skin may experience a temporary increase in acne during the first few weeks of using any form of retinoid including those used in this formulation.
Note: When pregnant or breastfeeding, it is recommended to avoid any skincare products containing retinoids such as formulations with Granactive Retinoid or Retinol.
Apply Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion to clean, dry skin before any other products at night. Allow a few minutes for it to absorb.
Do not use this serum with other products containing retinoids, such as retinol and retinoic acid.
Retinoids can make your skin more sensitive to UV radiation. We recommend wearing sunscreen during the day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion stronger than The Ordinary Retinol 1%?
- While both products are effective retinoid treatments, the formulas contain different retinoid molecules that are not comparable in terms of potency. Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion contains two advanced retinoids that have been shown to reduce the signs of aging without irritation.
I’m pregnant or breastfeeding. Is Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion safe for me?
- Products with retinoids are NOT recommended for use while pregnant or breastfeeding.
How often can I use Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion?
- Apply it once a day at night. If your skin is sensitive or you are new to retinoids, you can start by applying it 1-2 times per week to avoid irritation.
Can I mix or layer Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion with other products?
- This product should be applied to clean skin before any other products. Do not mix it with other products. Do not use it at the same time as other retinoids (like retinol and retinoic acid). Also, we recommend proceeding with caution if you choose to use it with products containing vitamin C or alpha hydroxy acids, as this can cause irritation. You may want to alternate these products every other day.
How do I add Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion to my skin care routine?
- Apply Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion to clean, dry skin before any other products at night. Allow a few minutes for it to absorb before continuing with your routine.
What happened to Advanced Retinoid 2%?
- Advanced Retinoid 2% isn't gone—it just has a new name. Advanced Retinoid 2% is now Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion. Same formula, different name.
Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Ethyl Linoleate, Propanediol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Cetearyl Isononanoate, Bisabolol, Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate, Retinol, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/Leaf Extract, Inulin Lauryl Carbamate, Glyceryl Stearate, Ceteareth-12, Ceteareth-20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Carrageenan, Xanthan gum, Acacia Senegal Gum, Cetyl Palmitate, Sucrose Laurate, Polysorbate 20, Isoceteth-20, Behentrimonium Chloride, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Disodium EDTA, Dehydroacetic Acid, Benzoic Acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin.
Our formulations are updated from time to time as part of our commitment to innovation. As such, the ingredient list shown here may vary from the box of the product depending on time and region of purchase.
Recently on Social Media
Say hello to our extended range (🙈) of retinoid formulations, which now includes the high-strength, low-irritation, water-free, silicone-free, alcohol-free, super-lightweight Granactive Retinoid 5% in Squalane, delivering 0.5% Direct Ester of All-Trans Retinoic Acid. Explore the full range at theordinary.com under Retinoids. ❤️🐒