The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane
>> Back to The Ordinary <<
Latest stock arrived: 22/05/2021
Highly-Stable, Water-Free Solution of 0.2% Ester of All-Trans Retinoic Acid
Reduce wrinkles, dark spots, and other signs of aging with this non-irritating, medium strength retinoid serum.
What It is
Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane is a lightweight serum with an advanced, non-irritating retinoid complex in a squalane base.
What It Does
This treatment visibly reduces the signs of aging without irritation. It diminishes the look of wrinkles and fine lines, brightens dark spots and hyperpigmentation, and smooths and refines the skin’s texture.
- Solubilized Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate: an advanced retinoid complex that delivers better anti-aging results with less irritation than other non-prescription retinoids
- Squalane: a plant-derived emollient ingredient that offers lightweight hydration
This water-free solution contains a 2% concentration of an advanced retinoid active complex called Granactive Retinoid that has been shown to offer better results against multiple signs of ageing than retinol without any of the irritation and drawbacks common with retinol. Granactive Retinoid, an active technology from Grant Industries, is a solubilized system of Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate, a highly-advanced form of retinoid which is, in fact, a non-prescription ester of all-trans direct retinoic acid that offers a multi-fold better effect against signs of ageing than retinol, retinyl palmitate and nearly all other forms of non-prescription retinoid.
The Ordinary’s portfolio of retinoids includes the following formulations:
Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane (Moderate Strength, No Irritation)
Granactive Retinoid 5% in Squalane (High Strength, No to Low Irritation)
Retinol 0.2% in Squalane (Low Strength, Moderate Irritation)
Retinol 0.5% in Squalane (Moderate Strength, High Irritation)
Retinol 1% in Squalane (High Strength, Very High Irritation)
This product uses next-generation retinoid active technologies which have been shown to achieve better reduction in signs of ageing than retinol without irritation. These technologies cannot be compared directly with retinol itself in terms of concentration because they include a different retinoid molecule, in a similar way that Retinol cannot be compared with Retinoic Acid in terms of concentration. If you have interest in a retinol product, please refer to our Retinol portfolio above which products contain pure retinol and cost less since many retinol technologies cost less than their next-generation counterparts like Granactive Retinoid.
Caution: Retinoids can make the skin more sensitive to UV radiation. Sun protection is particularly important when using retinoids. This product must not be used in conjunction with other retinoids including retinol or retinoic acid. This product is not a treatment for acne. Acne-prone skin may experience a temporary increase in acne during the first few weeks of using any form of retinoid including those used in this formulation.
Note: When pregnant or breastfeeding, it is recommended to avoid any skincare products containing retinoids such as formulations with Granactive Retinoid or Retinol.
Apply a few drops to your skin at night before oils, moisturizers, and creams. Do not use this serum with other products containing retinoids, such as retinol and retinoic acid. Retinoids can make your skin more sensitive to UV radiation. We recommend wearing sunscreen during the day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion stronger than The Ordinary Retinol 1%?
- While both products are effective retinoid treatments, the formulas contain different retinoid molecules that are not comparable in terms of potency. Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion contains two advanced retinoids that have been shown to reduce the signs of aging without irritation.
I’m pregnant or breastfeeding. Is Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion safe for me?
- Products with retinoids are NOT recommended for use while pregnant or breastfeeding.
How often can I use Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion?
- Apply it once a day at night. If your skin is sensitive or you are new to retinoids, you can start by applying it 1-2 times per week to avoid irritation.
Can I mix or layer Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion with other products?
- This product should be applied to clean skin before any other products. Do not mix it with other products. Do not use it at the same time as other retinoids (like retinol and retinoic acid). Also, we recommend proceeding with caution if you choose to use it with products containing vitamin C or alpha hydroxy acids, as this can cause irritation. You may want to alternate these products every other day.
How do I add Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion to my skin care routine?
- Apply Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion to clean, dry skin before any other products at night. Allow a few minutes for it to absorb before continuing with your routine.
What happened to Advanced Retinoid 2%?
- Advanced Retinoid 2% isn't gone—it just has a new name. Advanced Retinoid 2% is now Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion. Same formula, different name.
Squalane, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Bisabolol, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Hydroxypinacolone Retinoate, Solanum Lycopersicum (Tomato) Fruit Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil.
Our formulations are updated from time to time as part of our commitment to innovation. As such, the ingredient list shown here may vary from the box of the product depending on time and region of purchase.
Recently on Social Media
Say hello to our extended range (🙈) of retinoid formulations, which now includes the high-strength, low-irritation, water-free, silicone-free, alcohol-free, super-lightweight Granactive Retinoid 5% in Squalane, delivering 0.5% Direct Ester of All-Trans Retinoic Acid. Explore the full range at theordinary.com under Retinoids. ❤️🐒