The Ordinary Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2%
>> Back to The Ordinary <<
A Mild Lactic Acid Superficial Peeling Formulation
Restore a bright, even tone and a smooth texture to your skin with this mild exfoliating serum.
- pH 3.60-3.80
What It is
Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% is a mild exfoliating serum with lactic acid and hyaluronic acid.
What It Does
This treatment gently resurfaces the skin to promote a bright, even tone and a smooth, soft texture. For a higher-strength formulation, try The Ordinary. Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2%.
- Lactic acid: an alpha hydroxy acid that gently exfoliates to reveal clearer, more radiant skin
- Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer: a form of hyaluronic acid that boosts the skin's moisture content for a plump, supple, and smooth appearance
- Tasmanian Pepperberry: a botanical extract that reduces the irritation associated with acid use
Lactic Acid is an alpha hydroxyl acid that exfoliates the skin. This 5% formulation offers very mild exfoliation and is supported with a purified Tasmanian pepperberry known to reduce signs of inflammation and sensitivity that is often associated with exfoliation. A stronger 10% formula is available here.
This formula contains a studied Tasmanian Pepperberry derivative to help reduce irritation associated with acid use. This derivative is of plant origin and varies in colour seasonally and this colour variation may be apparent in the formula from time to time.
Contraindications: Lactic Acid should not be used on sensitive, peeling or compromised skin. Please refer to additional sun protection note and other warnings in provided Directions.
This pH of this formula is approximately 3.8. Lactic Acid has a pKa of 3.8 and pKa is the most important aspect to consider in formulating with acids. pKa implies acid availability. When pKa is close to pH, there is an ideal balance between salt and acidity, maximizing effectiveness of the acid and reducing irritation. Higher pH numbers in such a case would increase salt which counter-intuitively would make the formula even more irritating than if the formula was more acidic.
Note: While Lactic Acid can result in quick visible benefits, we generally suggest indirect forms of skin exfoliation in favour of direct forms such as this formula due to potential inflammation and sensitivity associated with acids. Please refer to NIOD's Non-Acid Acid Precursor for such a reference.
Apply a few drops to your skin at night before oils, creams, and moisturizers. Allow a few minutes for it to absorb. Can be diluted with other treatments to reduce strength until skin develops tolerance. Avoid contact with eyes. If irritation persists, discontinue use and consult a physician.
This product should not be used on sensitive, peeling, or compromised skin.
(Sunburn Alert: This product contains an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that may increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun and particularly the possibility of sunburn. Use a sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and limit sun exposure while using this product and for a week afterwards.)
Frequently Asked Questions
What is lactic acid?
- Lactic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid that exfoliates the surface of skin. It also has hydrating properties.
Which The Ordinary lactic acid product is best for me?
- If your skin is sensitive or if you are sensitive to alpha hydroxy acids, we recommend starting with Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2%. Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2% is best for experienced acid users.
I’m pregnant or breastfeeding. Is Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% safe for me?
- Lactic acid is considered safe for use while pregnant or breastfeeding, but it’s best to check with your healthcare provider first.
How do I add Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% to my skin care routine?
- Apply it to cleansed skin before oils, creams, and moisturizers at night only. Allow a few minutes for it to absorb.
Can I mix or layer Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% with other products?
- Yes. We recommend proceeding with caution if you choose to use it with other products containing retinoids or alpha or beta hydroxy acids, as this can cause irritation. You may want to alternate these products every other day. If irritation occurs, this product can be mixed with another product to reduce its strength.
How often can I use Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2%?
- Apply it once per day at night. If your skin is sensitive or you are new to acids, we recommend applying it once per week at first.
Can I use Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% on my body?
Aqua (water), Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Triethanolamine, Potassium Citrate, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolmer, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/Leaf Extract, Arginine, Acacia Senegal Gum, Xanthan Gum, Trisodium Ethylene-Diamine Disuccinate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ethyl 2.2-Dimethylhydrocinnamal, PPG-26-Buteth-26, Ethylhexylclycerin, 1.2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.
Our formulations are updated from time to time as part of our commitment to innovation. As such, the ingredient list shown here may vary from the box of the product depending on time and region of purchase.