The Ordinary Pycnogenol 5%
Latest stock arrived: 15/04/2019
A High-Potency, Plant-Derived Antioxidant
Size: 15 ml
What It Is
A powerful and antioxidant-rich serum designed for dull, lacklustre skin.
What It Does
Developed to enhance the skin’s hydration and elasticity, Pycnogenol 5% is ideal for promoting a smooth, rejuvenated complexion. This powerful formula uses Pycnogenol, a plant-derived antioxidant to nourish the skin from the inside out, targeting free radicals before they cause damage and restoring Vitamin C activity. Apply alone or mix with other treatments for visibly radiant results.
- Pycnogenol – Derived from the bark of French pine trees, this potent extract binds to collagen and elastin to revitalise the skin.
Pycnogenol® is a natural plant extract derived from the pine bark of French maritime pine trees. It contains procyanidins, bioflavonoids and organic acids that work in synergy to rejuvenate the skin, with the aim of enhancing skin hydration and elasticity. With the ability to selectively bind to collagen and elastin, Pycnogenol® protects these proteins from degradation, helping to nourish the skin from the inside out. Being a unique and powerful antioxidant, Pycnogenol® scavenges for free radicals before they cause damage by oxidative stress. It can also recycle oxidized Vitamin C to restore its activity. The Ordinary Pycnogenol® 5% is free of artificial colours. The formula’s deep red colour is due to the high procyanidin content in Pycnogenol®. After application, please wash hands and avoid product contact with light coloured fabric as it may stain.
Pycnogenol® is a trademark of Horphag Research Ltd. Neither DECIEM nor The Ordinary is affiliated with Horphag Research Ltd.
Apply alone or after water-based serums, before oils or heavier creams. Alternatively, mix with other treatments to enhance their antioxidant capacity. Wash hands after application and avoid product contact with fabric as it may stain.
Propanediol, Pinus Pinaster Bark Extract.
Our formulations are updated from time to time as part of our commitment to innovation. As such, the ingredient list shown here may vary from the box of the product depending on time and region of purchase.
Recently on Social Media
Hi :-) Many of you outsmarted us and very quickly and correctly guessed what product we were launching next (even though we only posted a cryptic photo of a tree growing out of a bottle). Welcome to The Ordinary Pycnogenol 5%. Available online and in our cozy stores around the world.
Pycnogenol ® is a powerful antioxidant extracted from the bark of French maritime pine trees (🌲). This powerhouse ingredient contains naturally-occurring procyanidins, bioflavonoids and organic acids that synergistically help maintain healthy levels of collagen and hyaluronic acid within the skin, resulting in enhanced hydration and elasticity. Due to its high affinity for collagen and elastin, Pycnogenol ® is able to selectively bind to and protect these vital proteins from free radical damage and enzymatic degradation. While doing so, it also scavenges the skin for free radicals before they cause oxidative stress and has the ability to recycle oxidised Vitamin C, restoring its activity.
It's generally offered at a very low concentration, so of course, we wanted to offer it at a very high concentration. At 5%, 1-2 drops will suffice for the full face. Use once daily for the maintenance of healthy skin.
A few comments on social media...
- This stuff is so amazing I'm pretty sure my next birthday I'll be able to lie about my age and get away with it. 😂KDAUTREMONT
- I’ve been adding this with my other Ordinary products at both morning and night for the past two weeks. And my skin has NEVER looked better. It completely changed my skin! Absolutely love it DEBRAGIAC
- How about 1 liter bottles so I can bathe in this stuff!! 😂😂 thank you monkeys!ACOFFEEWITHFRIENDS
- So excited to use my new “P”. 🌲 and add to my regime. Just picked it up from the Distillery store. Staff were great. Thanks 😊🐶🐶 DANIELLEMKAPLAN
- obvs I need this DIPASHAH83
From the trademark company
Article from Horhag Research Ltd
Pycnogenol® French maritime pine bark extract for a beautiful skin
How Pycnogenol® helps from both inside and out?
- Pycnogenol® French maritime pine bark extract is widely used in topical and oral applications for various dermatological indications. A unique combination of pharmacological functions of Pycnogenol® provides an unmatched variety of health benefits for skin health.
- Pycnogenol® binds with skin proteins collagen and elastin, and protects skin from various harmful enzymes helping to rebuild elasticity, essential for a smooth, younger look.
Hyper-Pigmentation & brown spots
- Pycnogenol® helps promote the «glow» and reduce over-pigmentation for a more even complexion (brown spots).
- Sunburn is an inflammation caused by free radical induced tissue damage. By neutralizing these free radicals, Pycnogenol® helps protect skin from the stress and damage of sunburn and photoaging.
- Several clinical studies have shown that Pycnogenol® protects the collagen matrix and increases skin stability during healing.
Pycnogenol® binds and protects collagen and elastin
Pycnogenol® protects elastic tissue proteins and stimulates genesis of new collagen and hyaluronic acid in human skin
Pycnogenol® has a high affinity to the amino acid hydroxy-proline, which is present exclusively in matrix proteins collagen and elastin.
In consequence, Pycnogenol® (and also its metabolites) protects these proteins from free radical damage and enzymatic degradation.
Recent research identified enhanced collagen synthesis with Pycnogenol® in skin of human volunteers. Pycnogenol® further increased synthesis of hyaluronic acid in women‘s skin, corresponding with better skin elasticity and water retent
Pycnogenol® enhances blood micro-circulation in the skin
Pycnogenol® enhances generation of endothelial nitric oxide (NO) which is the key mediator facilitating arterial relaxation and consequently allows for optimal blood flow.
Taken orally, Pycnogenol® was found to increase blood perfusion of the skin and oxygen partial pressure increased and, conversely, carbon dioxide concentration decreased. This study demonstrated an improved healing of wounds (ulcers) in individuals with micro-circulatory disorders.
An improved blood perfusion of the skin warrants optimal supply with all important nutrients as well as better hydration to support skin vitality.
Pycnogenol & Benefits for skin
Article from: healthline.com
Pycnogenol is another name for the extract of French maritime pine bark. It’s used as a natural supplement for several conditions, including dry skin and ADHD. Pycnogenol contains active ingredients that can also be found in peanut skin, grape seed, and witch hazel bark.
Pycnogenol provides many benefits to the skin, including reducing the signs of aging. A small 2012 study on postmenopausal women found that pycnogenol improved hydration and elasticity of skin. Study participants took pycnogenol as a supplement, and it was found to be most effective in women who started out with dry skin. The researchers concluded that pycnogenol may increase production of hyaluronic acid and collagen, which are both found in many popular antiaging products.
A 2004 animal study also found that applying a gel containing pycnogenol sped up the wound-healing process. It also reduced the size of scars.
A 2017 review reported on the many benefits of using pycnogenol to reduce the effects of aging on skin. Pycnogenol appears to reduce the creation of free radicals, which are molecules linked to several skin conditions. It also seems to help with cell regeneration and replication.
This review noted that pycnogenol may also help with:
- reducing wrinkles from UVB rays
- decreasing skin thickness
- reducing skin roughness
- improving visible signs of aging
- protecting from UV rays
- preventing inflammation
- reducing redness
- decreasing melasma areas
- reducing discoloration
- preventing photoaging
- protecting against skin cancer