The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%
>> Back to The Ordinary <<
Latest stock arrived: 15/07/2020
A Water-Free, Silicone-Free Stable Suspension
Brighten, hydrate, and smooth skin with this high-strength vitamin C serum.
What It is
Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% is a creamy serum with vitamin C and hyaluronic acid.
What It Does
This treatment brightens, hydrates, and smooths the skin's surface. It reduces fine lines, wrinkles, and hyperpigmentation (such as dark spots, age spots, and acne scars).
- L-ascorbic acid: a potent form of vitamin C with dramatic brightening and anti-aging effects
- Sodium Hyaluronate: a form of hyaluronic acid that boosts the skin's moisture content for a plump, supple, and smooth appearance
Vitamin C is an effective antioxidant and its pure form of L-Ascorbic Acid has been shown to reverse multiple signs of skin ageing while brightening the skin when applied topically. This water-free, silicone-free formula provides 23% pure L-Ascorbic Acid which remains completely stable due to the absence of water. The system is supported with addition of dehydrated spheres of Hyaluronic Acid to offer visible surface smoothing alongside the benefits of Vitamin C. This treatment is ideally applied at bedtime.
Note: Based on recommendation from our customers, this formula is now offered in a tube format for easier dispensing.
This product is a water-free suspension of 23% L-Ascorbic Acid powder. The Ordinary's portfolio of Vitamin C includes the following formulations:
Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone
Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12%
Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate Solution 20% in Vitamin F
Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate 10%
Topical Vitamin C offers a wide array of benefits to the skin. However, many forms of Vitamin C and many more formulations of Vitamin C are available commercially with a potential to confuse the audience. We have developed a guide that offers guidance on the formulations of Vitamin C offered under The Ordinary range. It also offers education on Vitamin C itself and on the differences between formulations of Vitamin C at large. Please click here for this guide.
Note: The format of this formula is a suspension of very fine L-Ascorbic Acid powder and, as such, provides the most direct exposure of extremely high concentrations of Vitamin C topically. With such format, there are 2 important things to consider:
1) A very strong tingling but non-irritating sensation is expected during the first 1-2 weeks of use until the skin's tolerance to such high exposure is elevated. If the sensation is too strong to tolerate, the formula can be mixed on each application with other creams or serums of your preference.
2) The powder exposure to the skin disallows the formula to feel like a serum, lotion or cream and each application requires a few seconds to feel absorbed by the skin. This formula feels gritty for a few seconds after application. If you prefer to avoid this gritty feel, we suggest our Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone.
Alternative products on the market offer suspensions of Vitamin C in water-free formulations in heavier silicone bases to avoid the "powdery" feel of the suspension. These formulations do keep the Vitamin C stable but they are almost always offered in heavier silicone bases that interfere with efficient exposure of the entire Vitamin C content to the skin (the silicone entraps the Vitamin C). Our formula avoids the use of silicones and offers complete and direct exposure of the entire powder content to the skin, maximizing topical delivery. If you prefer a lighter silicone base instead for a smoother skin feel, we suggest our Vitamin C Suspension 30% in Silicone.
Apply a pea-sized amount to your skin in the morning or at night after toners and water-based products. Because this product is a suspension of vitamin C powder in a water-free base, it may take a few seconds to absorb into the skin.
Expect a slight tingling sensation during the first 1-2 weeks of use. If irritation occurs, this product can be diluted to reduce its strength.
This product should not be used at the same time as treatments containing niacinamide (vitamin B3).
Frequently Asked Questions
Which The Ordinary vitamin C product is best for me?
- When choosing a vitamin C product, consider your skin type, your routine, and your preferred formula texture. Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% is best for those with non-reactive skin who don’t mind its powdery texture.
Will Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% work with my skin type?
- Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% is best for skin that is not sensitive, inflamed, or reactive. It contains a high concentration of pure vitamin C, so it may cause irritation.
How does Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% feel?
- This product is a heavy serum formulated with ascorbic acid powder, which gives it a slightly powdery texture. You may notice a tingling sensation when you apply it—this is normal.
I’m pregnant or breastfeeding. Is it safe for me?
- Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% is considered safe for use while pregnant or breastfeeding, but it’s best to check with your healthcare provider first.
How often can I use Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%?
- Apply it once per day in the morning or at night. We recommend applying it at night due to its powdery texture.
Can I mix or layer Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% with other products?
- Yes, except products containing niacinamide. We recommend proceeding with caution if you choose to use it with products containing retinoids or alpha hydroxy acids, as this may cause irritation. You may want to alternate these products every other day.
How do I add Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% to my skin care routine?
- Apply it to cleansed skin after toners and water-based serums. It works best as the final step in your routine or underneath your moisturizer. Due to its powdery texture, we recommend applying it at night and rinsing it off in the morning.
Ascorbic Acid, Squalane, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Coconut Alkanes, Ethylene/Propylene/Styrene Copolymer, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glucomannan, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Butylene/Ethylene/Styrene Copolymer, Acrylates/Ethylhexyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Trihydroxystearin, BHT.
Our formulations are updated from time to time as part of our commitment to innovation. As such, the ingredient list shown here may vary from the box of the product depending on time and region of purchase.